Thursday, June 1, 2023

Morning Bible Study: Job 23:8-12

If I go east, he is not there,
and if I go west, I cannot perceive him.
When he is at work to the north, I cannot see him;
when he turns south, I cannot find him.
10 Yet he knows the way I have taken;
when he has tested me, I will emerge as pure gold.
11 My feet have followed in his tracks;
I have kept to his way and not turned aside.
12 I have not departed from the commands from his lips;
I have treasured the words from his mouth
more than my daily food.

Commentary
(the following is from Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary, 1706 -- www.christianity.com)
 
"Job knew that the Lord was every where present; but his mind was in such confusion, that he could get no fixed view of God's merciful presence, so as to find comfort by spreading his case before him. His views were all gloomy. God seemed to stand at a distance, and frown upon him. Yet Job expressed his assurance that he should be brought forth, tried, and approved, for he had obeyed the precepts of God. He had relished and delighted in the truths and commandments of God. 

We should notice that Job justified himself rather than God, or in opposition to him. Job might feel that he was clear from the charges of his friends, but boldly to assert that it was not a chastisement of sin was his error."

No comments:

Post a Comment