Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Morning Bible Study: Job 21:1-6

Job’s Reply to Zophar

21:1 Then Job answered:

Pay close attention to my words;

let this be the consolation you offer.

Bear with me while I speak;

then after I have spoken, you may continue mocking.

As for me, is my complaint against a human being?

Then why shouldn’t I be impatient?

Look at me and shudder;

put your hand over your mouth.

When I think about it, I am terrified

and my body trembles in horror.


Commentary

(the following is from Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary, 1706 -- www.christianity.com)


"Job comes closer to the question in dispute. This was, Whether outward prosperity is a mark of the true church, and the true members of it, so that ruin of a man's prosperity proves him a hypocrite? This they asserted, but Job denied. If they looked upon him, they might see misery enough to demand compassion, and their bold interpretations of this mysterious providence should be turned into silent wonder."

No comments:

Post a Comment